Creative Ideas is a non-governmental organization. It was established on 12 October 2011 in Balvi, when the members of the association come together to promote the development and international recognition of Balvi town and municipality, to diminish social exclusion and to solve important issues for the community by elaborating and implementing projects and by mobilizing local society.
Creative Ideas specializes in education, research, society integration, culture and rural development, as well as EU issues and priorities. Currently we have more than 40 members with extended experience in local, national and international project implementation. We work in Riga, the capital city of Latvia, and Balvi town*.
During the 10 years of our operation, we have involved at least 800 unique persons in the project activities, introduced Latvians to other countries and cultures, helped to integrate more than 400 migrants, implemented more than 20 projects and attracted 900 thousand EUR funding to implement our activities. We have created jobs by employing more than 50 persons.
We cooperate with state and municipal institutions (ministries, employment office, library, museum, art school, schools etc.), higher education institutions, NGOs and NGO networks to exchange experience and bring best practices to the community. Half of our projects have been implemented in cooperation with our partners abroad, in Sweden, Greece, Poland, Italy, Germany, Austria, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Malta, the UK, the Netherlands etc.
The association's aims are:
- to promote culture, lifelong learning, health, craft, environment protection, tourism sectors sustainable development, preservation and maintenance of their affiliated infrastructure;
- to promote civil society;
- to diminish social exclusion;
- to strengthen cooperation among generations;
- to facilitate cooperation from local to international level and inter-regional cooperation.
The values of our association play an important role and are as follows: Expertise, Experience, Loyalty and Development.
We are a member of national umbrella organisations such as: Civic Alliance–Latvia, Latvian Adult Education Association and Latvian Rural Forum. We have joined the Cooperation Memorandum between NGOs and the Cabinet of Ministers in Latvia and the Cooperation Memorandum between NGOs and the Riga Municipality, as well as in 2013 initiated the establishment of NGO coalition in Balvi municipality, which includes 11 local NGOs.
* Balvi municipality is located in North East of Latvia nearby Russian Federation border - EU external border; it is 220 km from Riga, capital of Latvia, 128 km away from Tartu in Estonia and 122 km from Pskov in Russia. Balvi municipality area is around 1045.26 km2 and there are around 16 000 inhabitants, from which half of them live in Balvi town.